The City of Cherokee is accepting applications for a full-time Park Maintenance Worker/Cemetery Sexton.
Performs minor repairs and improvements of park grounds and maintains the cleanliness and orderliness of park grounds and facilities. Oversee sale and location of burial lots, coordinates opening and oversees maintenance of Oak Hill Cemetery.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to operate equipment and machinery utilized within the city’s parks and green
space, including mowers, snow blowers, skid loaders and backhoes.
• Ability to use various tools for maintenance of grounds and facilities.
• Ability to provide basic maintenance of mechanical and plumbing systems within
park buildings, campgrounds, swimming pool and community center.
• Ability to obtain knowledge of swimming pool heating, filtering and pumping systems.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time, climb ladders, lift 50 pounds, and
walk across unimproved grounds commonly found in parks, playgrounds and open green
• Oversees the sale and location of burial lots at Oak Hill Cemetery
• Coordinate burial openings.
• Oversees maintenance at Oak Hill Cemetery and seasonal crew.
• Operate trucks, mowers, tractors, weedeaters, skidloader and similar equipment.
• Utilize a variety of hand and power tools.
• Assist in routine maintenance of such equipment.
• Clean restrooms and pick up litter around parks and green space.
• Trim trees and shrubs; plant trees, flowers and shrubs.
• Perform unskilled and semi-skilled tasks involving the maintenance, construction,
and repair of park and recreational facilities.
• Collect fees and provide information to the public concerning the use of park
• Assist in the preparation of aquatic center, athletic fields, and related facilities.
• May collect fees and provide information to the public concerning the use of park
• May assist in other departments as necessary.
• Perform other such duties as may be assigned.
Equipment and machinery utilized within the parks and greenspace, including but not
limited to lawn mowers, tractors, snow blowers, skid loaders and backhoes.